Friday, March 4, 2016 - 12:18
- The season will last for a total of twelve months for the first time. Hamburg strengthens its position as a year-round destination.
- May will be the busiest month, with a total of 31 ship’s calls and a corresponding passenger volume of approx. 110,000.
- Nine cruise ships (the “Caribbean Princess”, “Black Watch”, “AIDAaura”, “AIDAprima” “Albatros”, “Amadea”, “Europa”, “Astor” and “MSC Splendida”) will be attending the 827th Hamburg Port Anniversary celebrations (5th to 8th May 2016). Thereby the “Caribbean Princess” will make its maiden call to the Port of Hamburg at the Hamburg Port Anniversary.
- In 2016 AIDA Cruises continues to be the cruise line with the greatest presence in Hamburg. 6 AIDA liners (the “AIDAsol”, “AIDAdiva”, “AIDAaura”, “AIDAprima”, “AIDAvita” and “AIDAmar”) will be setting course for Hamburg 74 times. So often as never before! In addition their recent newbuild, the “AIDAprima”, start to will call to the Hanseatic city weekly beginning at the end of April 2016. On May 7th the christening ceremony of this ship will take place during the Hamburg Port Anniversary.
- MSC Cruises will be the port’s second-most frequent guest during the 2016 season. “MSC Splendida” will berth at Hamburg 16 times. The ship disposes a tonnage of 137936, measures a length of 333 metres and has a passenger capacity of 3,247. With that the “MSC Splendida” is the largest passenger liner that offers cruises from Hamburg on a regular basis. Hence, in September MSC will have a special jubilee – the 100th call to Hamburg.
- On third position Hapag-Lloyd Cruises follows with a total of 14 calls to Hamburg. The whole HLC fleet (the “Europa 2”, “Europa”, “Bremen” and “Hanseatic”) will call at the port of Hamburg during the course of the year and is thus a constant guest. In addition, the cruise line celebrates its 125th anniversary in 2016.
- Hamburger cruise line TUI Cruises’ ships will call at the port a total of 6 times in 2016 (the “Mein Schiff 1”: four times; the “Mein Schiff 4”: twice). In the course of the “International Music Festival Hamburg”, the “Mein Schiff 4” will be a concert hall surrounded by water on May 16th.
- In 2016 the Cunard Line’s “Queens” will berth in Hamburg a total of 10 times – the “Queen Mary 2” five times, the “Queen Elizabeth” four times and the “Queen Victoria” once.
- Costa Cruises will retain a stable presence in the city in 2016 with the “Costa Pacifica” calling at the port a total of six times.
- The German tour operators Plantours & Partner as well as Phoenix Reisen will also visit the Port of Hamburg in 2016. With a total of nine calls of “Albatros” and “Amadea”, Phoenix Reisen is fitfth-most frequent visitor to the metropolis on the Elbe River. Plantour & Partners will berth at the Port of Hamburg four times with their “Hamburg”.
- Spectators will be able to enjoy a total of four maiden calls during the 2016 season. First-time visitors to Hamburg will be: the “AIDAprima”, “Caribbean Princess”, “Ocean Dream” and “Marina”.
- The most frequent visitor to Hamburg will be the “AIDAprima” with a total of 36 calls.
- The 2016 season will conclude with the New Year’s double call of P&O Cruises’ “Arcadia” and AIDA Cruises’ “AIDAprima” on 31 December 2016.
- There will be a total of 34 double calls, three triple calls, one quadruple and even one sextuple call.